Losing weight is one of the most pressing health-related issues for many people. The simple calculation of losing weight includes burning more calories than one consumes. There are a variety of factors that influence fat loss including genetic factors, metabolism, the type of food one consumes consistently, a person’s body type and lifestyle. The simplest and the cheapest way to achieve a calorie deficit while getting proper nutrition is through fruits. The following fruits aid in losing weight and offer a variety of other benefits as well.
- Blueberries (87% water): A recent study suggests that blueberries influence genes that regulate fat burning, thus helping in reducing abdominal fat and also in lowering cholesterol leading to cardiovascular benefits. They tend to improve blood sugar levels. Blueberries contain a high amount of fibre as well which helps to keep the person full for longer. All these benefits of being fat-free, sweet, delicious as well as higher in vitamins and nutrients in a small package of just 80 calories per serving is a win-win.
- Apples (85% water): Apples are satisfying, low in calories, high in fibre making them the perfect alternate choice of meal that one can have instead of snacking on junk. The pectin that apples contain limits the absorption of fat into the cells. They also contain plenty of antioxidants that help in digestion along with soluble fibres.
There are various other benefits of apples like lowering cholesterol, protection against cardiovascular diseases, reduction of inflammation, boosting of immunity.
But consuming apples in large quantities is not advised because of its high sugar content and fibre which can cause intestinal upset. One should stick with one apple a day for optimum benefits.
- Watermelons (95% water) This fruit is a relief during the scorching summer heat against dehydration and helps to combat fluid retention. It is cholesterol free and low in calories and fats. The fruit contains L-Citrulline/ L-Arginine, an amino acid that lowers blood pressure and hence provides protection against cardiovascular diseases. It is also rich in Vitamin A, C, B6 and Thiamine and lycopene that might offer protection against certain types of cancer.
- Oranges (84% water): Oranges are very high in Vitamin C that helps in producing, maintaining and repairing one’s skin, ligaments, tendons, cartilage and blood vessels. Oranges are high in fibre as well, thus aiding in weight loss by promoting regular bowel movements and helping in feeling fuller for longer periods of time. Other benefits include lowering stress levels, blood pressure, prevention of stroke and cancer and healthier skin.
- Pineapples (87% water ): Pineapples are delicious, low in fat, high in fibre and antioxidants as well as vitamin C boosting the person’s immunity. Nutritionists suggest that it’s best to not have pineapples with other foods because pineapple is rich in an enzyme called bromelain that provides anti-inflammatory benefits and aids in proper digestive functions.
Pineapples are known to curb appetite, and hence are excellent for people aiming for weight loss. It is also a storehouse for various minerals like manganese, thiamine, and copper which help in bone strengthening.
- Strawberries (92% water): Strawberries are loaded with vitamins, fibre, polyphenols, and anti-oxidants. It has zero cholesterol and fats along with being low on calories. It is a good source of potassium, magnesium and Vitamin C. Strawberries are rich in ellagic acid which helps in fighting inflammation and restoration of normal functioning of weight reducing hormones. They are also rich in anthocyanins which helps in the production of a hormone called adiponectin which further boosts metabolism and aids weight loss.
Strawberries also have heart-healthy properties and are the only fruit to have seeds on their exterior which are a source of small amounts of omega 3 fatty acids.